As part of our ethos we feel outdoor provision is an ‘essential element of a child’s daily environment and life, not an option or an extra’ (Jan White)
At Poppies we believe that:
- Children under the age of 11 years of age should take part in one hour of physical activity a day, this can strengthen their muscles and develop gross and fine motor skills.(N.I.C.E -2009)
We have a variety of surfaces and slopes to encourage balance and frames to provide a range of swinging and climbing opportunities
- We feel it is important for children’s mental wellbeing; that feel good factor. There is 25% more oxygen outside and ‘the learning environment is much more relaxed and free’ (Jan White)
We have a vegetable growing area to offer opportunities to plant and tend plants and wildlife pond.
- All weather is good weather !!
‘The best classroom and the widest cupboard for learning is the open air’. ( Margaret Macmillan)
We provide appropriate clothing for all weather: waterproofs, wellies and woolly hats in the winter and sun hats, sun cream and over head shades for the summer
- Children’s health is improved by developing cardio-respiratory strength, increasing heart rate and blood flow. (Patricia Maude2009)
Outdoor play reduces the spread of infection as the fresh air enables the infection agents to be dissipate
- Play is great for children’s well-being and development. When planning and providing play opportunities; the goal is not to eliminate risk, but to weigh up the risks and benefits. No child will learn if they are wrapped up in cotton wool. (Health and Safety Executive)
We check the garden areas daily to ensure they are free from rubbish and visually check for safety. We ensure that all climbing opportunities are on safety mats or grass areas and swing ropes are not frayed. Adults are always present in the gardens.